Book Ownership Laws for Husbands/Partners of Avid Writers/Readers
1. If I am reading it, it's mine.
2. If I had it a little while ago, but put it down, it's mine.
3. Even if I put it down on your desk/favorite chair/lap, it is still mine.
4. If it's mine, it must never in anyway appear to be yours.
5. If I burnt dinner, forgot to pick up the kids from school and neglected the washing for a week, the book was mine.
6. If you're reading it, and I think it looks better than what I am reading, it's mine.
7. If you're reading it and I haven't read it, it's clearly mine.
8. If I bought the book with my money, it's mine.
9. If I bought it with your money, it's mine.
10. If I bought the book with our money, it's all mine mine mine.
11. If we have an extra $20 in the budget and I get to the money first, the new book is mine.
12. There will never be an extra $20 in the budget, because the book is mine.
13. If you get the the money first and foolishly waste it at the hardware store, I will return your purchase and invest wisely. You guessed it. The book is mine.
14. If I bought it and haven't read it, it is still mine.
15. If I bought thirty and haven't read them yet, I will be buying more, and they too will be mine.
16. If it is on my wish list, it is as good as mine.
17. If I asked for it for my birthday, it had better be mine.
18. If it's on your birthday list, it had better be about football, or it's mine.
19. If it's torn, moldy, boring or otherwise defective, it's yours.
.... I'll be buying another one, and that will be mine :)
What about you? Got any great rules for book ownership in your house?