Good reasons to let it go.
Relate this to whatever you like. Maybe a relationship. Maybe something you thought you wanted/needed and now you question. Maybe (if you are a writer) it is as simple as a book that you need to set free to fly. Maybe it is not something simple. Maybe it is something as huge as your heart or as deep as pain. My life started when I gave up. It just depends what you give up on. Maybe just maybe there is something to be gained in letting go. Something you will never gain if you keep holding on?
1. Holding on is killing you.
2. If you keep holding on you will melt it, squash it or bleed it dry.
3. How will you ever discover what someone else could do with it if you don't let it go?
4. There is something more precious to pick up.
5. The burden of carrying it is more than the value of the goods you hold.
6. Your arms ache.
7. You have it in a head lock against its will.
8. You can't take it where you want to go the way you are holding it right now. And in some cases, maybe you can't take it where you want to go period.
9. It can walk on its own. It needs to walk on its own. Possibly away from you. Possibly towards you.
10. It is time. The season for holding has past.
What about you? What do you need to let go? Do you ever reach that point in your writing?
And on a really personal note: At the edge of broken I met a very big God into whose hands I finally Let it Go. And His hands both catch and hold. I even threw my life into those hands and He hasn't let me fall yet.