Monday, October 4, 2010

On a Day Like This


On a day like this clouds gather together like long lost family, their voluptuous love for each filling their insides to overflowing, threatening to weep their joy in an afternoon rainstorm. You watch them meet, a kiss on the cheek as they embrace. If you could touch them, you would embrace them too. Instead you sit alone and wonder...

On a day like this the skies are a wash of blue straight from the artist's hand. The brush strokes long and even across the sky. The winds whisper, cotton wool conversations that float so far above your head. It is like the distant chatter of loved ones enjoying everything spring can squeeze into a day. How you long to join something, anything outside your glass window. Instead you tuck a newborn baby in close to you and whisper your own love stories...

On a day like this you gather your thoughts inside, perhaps sheltering them from the rain of your tears. You wait for the skies to open so you can cry together, but they won't. Not today. Not on a day like this.  Somewhere you imagine the world you use to occupy, still there, waiting, whispering for you in its sleep. Your husband, your toddler, all settling into the corners of life until you return...


On  a day like this you imagine you are her. The woman in the tall grasses. The woman whose hands stroke the wind as it chatters to the leaves and moves the green carpet on the earth's floor in waves. You imagine the freedom of being able to come and go, or simply stay, if you chose. You imagine a year from now when all this being enclosed and prodded and poked by medical staff is over. A week from now when you are home with those waiting people. A day from now when the doctors give you the all clear. A moment from now when your newborn finally sleeps beside you in the hospital bed and you can rest again, look outside the window and dream...

                                                                             On a day like this...


~

(For Andy, who I love and admire. 
You will be home soon. I can't imagine...)

~

WHAT ABOUT YOU? Are you looking out a glass window waiting for something? If you write, I know you are waiting. We writers are always waiting. But visiting with my sister-in-law today I thought about how, in many ways, we are all sitting behind a glass window looking out at something, waiting...

26 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post, TAbitha. We are all waiting for something. Life is a game of waiting. That's why it's so important to learn to embrace the waiting - because it's here to stay and if we wish that waiting away, we're wishing life away too. And as my mother always said to me growing up, "Don't wish your life away."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie. Yep, even the wait is apart of living. I want to live every moment I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my waiting felt as poetic as your descriptions, Tabitha. I try to fill my waiting time with worthwhile activities. But sometimes, it's easier to watch the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tabitha - you are such a good writer! I try not to wait. The two pressures that many of us seem to be under are to wait and to hurry up. I try and remember that both of them are usually fuelled by some delusion or another.
    Then I can remember to not wait but enjoy this now without restlessness, without aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write with a beautiful view of trees out my window and my neighbor's well-manicured lawn. The green is enough to be a distraction, but also a welcome inspiration.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waiting to die, waiting to hear bad news... I try to keep busy so that I don't spend too much time waiting behind that glass window, because I did too much of that as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Days like these are worth reflecting....Yes, I am always waiting on inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written piece. Love all the descriptions. Lovely writer.

    Thanks for writing this.

    Yes, you are right. We are all waiting for something. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Not a good thing to be waiting for.

    Blessings. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am waiting to hear back from agents with my partials. It gets daunting at times especially knowing that if the answer is no then I will have to start all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully put! I'm not a very good waiter...I'm impatiently waiting for one of my manuscripts to resonate with one of the publishers my agent has sent it to. I've been waiting for a publishing deal since 1995 and I'm starting to lose what patience I have left!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I'm always looking out the window, waiting for something to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just in awe of your writing, your reflections and how you always seem to inspire. :)

    Thank you.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful and full of poignant longing, Tab. The best kind of prayer, I think. As I look out my window this day, I'm determined to do the best I can in this moment so there are no regrets in the next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Waiting and writing are really the same thing, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. An excellent post Tabitha, you have a real talent for expressing your feelings.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmmm. Beautiful. Yes I can imagine me in the tall grass. Aaaachooo! Oh, see...how real my imagining? Lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may be waiting but my window is an open window to receive now, even the coldest winds. Another pretty post, Tabitha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. TB appreciate you sharing, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was beautiful. And I have been here; parts of me are still here.....really really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely Tabitha! I am waiting. Somedays I don't even know what I'm waiting for! Then I'm reminded of God's great plans for me and my skin tingles with anticipation.

    Always, waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful Tabitha, as always :).

    I guess we're all always waiting for something, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful words and ever so beautifully written. I was captivated and taken to the place the women in the tal grass thank you.

    Have wonderful and inspiring day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. ''perhaps sheltering them from the rain of your tears.''
    very beautiful expression..

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Wait for the LORD; be strong and wait for the LORD" Psalm 27:14 ..."The creation Waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed."...Romans 8:19-keep going to verse 25. It's an awesome description of waiting.. longing, hoping. Watching as it all unfolds before our very eyes, we who watch from the window seat right along with Creation. Your words are very healing Tabitha. Thank You for loving so deeply.
    *kare

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you everyone who came by and left a comment. Sorry I have been slow getting to blogs this week. I am off to visit now. Welcome to my new followers. My readers mean a lot to me so thanks for joining.

    ReplyDelete