Before I was a writer I never pretended to eat the dog. Um...... maybe I did. Writing can't be blamed for all my craziness. Can it?! Here's a random list of other things that may or may not have happened before I was a writer.
Before I was a writer....
- I burnt dinner for all sorts of reasons. But never because there was an amazing scene in my head just begging to be typed.
- notebooks were for writing shopping listings and reminders. We had one. Two at the most and they lived on the kitchen bench. Now we have... oh, a million. And they are hiding in every nook and cranny.
- Feelings welled up inside me and had nowhere to productive the vent. Journalling is great, but creating a whole world of characters that are held captive in my head and are forced to deal with whatever crap I want to throw at them is pure bliss.
- I had a job that paid.
- Something gnawed at the back of my mind. Like there was something I had forgotten to do or someone I forgot I wanted to be.
- I thought punctuation and grammar were for the weak. Now I appreicate my weakness with punctuation and grammar AND I try my level best to get it right. I'm still trying... I have an editor now. God knows I need one! Thank you, my wonderful sister-in-law.
- There was a waste land in my life begging to be filled with words. I breathed, but it was very shallow.
- My family were never sure where to find me. Now it's a sure bet that I'll be in front of the computer.
- We didn't run out of coffee cups because they were languishing on every possible surface in my office.
- My abusive childhood had no way to be seen. My pain had no words and my memories no safe place to express themselves.
Was there life before writing? Hmmm....